JLL report reveals its latest sustainability achievements
JLL has published its latest Sustainability Highlights Report which shows the firm has made strong progress towards its 2020 sustainability targets.
JLL has today published its latest Sustainability Highlights Report which shows the firm has made strong progress towards its 2020 sustainability targets.
As part of its sustainability strategy, ‘Building a Better Tomorrow’, the firm delivered several initiatives in 2018 including those that champion climate change action, support the end of homelessness, promote the circular economy and remove barriers to social mobility in the real estate sector.
Chris Ireland, CEO at JLL UK, adds: “The built environment has an enormous impact on the world and we are entering what many are calling the 'make-or-break' decade for action. This report highlights some of the progress we are making on key social and environmental issues, including climate change, to help shift opinion and behaviour within our business and across the industry. Embedding sustainability into our culture - in the way we think and the work we do - is increasingly expected by our stakeholders and supported by the entire JLL UK leadership team.”
Sophie Walker, Head of Sustainability at JLL UK, said: “Last year saw the culmination of our ‘Transforming Real Estate’ campaign, promoting a sustainable future and reinforcing the urgency of the social and environmental challenges we are all facing. The real estate sector is under-going significant disruption, driven by changing customer needs and the digital revolution. As a result, many firms, including JLL, are taking a fresh look at their business models and experimenting with new ways of operating. We see this as a fantastic, once in a generation opportunity to embed sustainability and collaboration into businesses.”
JLL’s 2018 sustainability highlights include:
Championing climate action
▪ Transitioned over 30% of the buildings managed for clients to a natural renewable electricity contract, a first for the sector. This is a major enhancement to the standard renewables contract already in place across the vast majority of the electricity we buy for our clients’ buildings.
▪ 90% of electricity powering the firm’s own corporate offices is now from renewables; 60% is sourced from - and supports - a 5MW solar farm in Suffolk.
▪ Extended partnership with Crisis to 2020, doubling the original commitment. Now towards the fundraising target of £1.2 million, with £630,000 raised so far (2017: £274,300).
▪ Residential experts contributed to Crisis’s ‘Plan to End Homelessness’ and advised Homes England on fresh ideas to improve housing supply.
▪ Affordable Housing team valued over 650,000 social housing units last year.
Making the most of waste
▪ Became a ‘champion for the Built Environment as part of Business in the Community’s (BITC) ‘Waste to Wealth’ initiative
▪ Contributed to BITC’s Circular Economy Taskforce and helped to produce their first Circular Office Guide.
▪ Tested circular initiatives in JLL offices, including turning waste coffee grounds into green energy and installing repurposed furniture.
▪ Replaced over £2m single use plastics with eco-friendly alternatives.
Empowering people and leading change
▪ 26 senior executives trained at Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership.
▪ Just under 20% of JLL staff volunteered.
Unlocking talent through social mobility
▪ One of the Top 50 employers in the Social Mobility Index.
▪ Reached 600 students from non-advantaged backgrounds.
JLL is committed to supporting the UK’s ongoing transition to a low carbon and circular economy and to address key social issues by creating a work culture that values diversity, rewards talent and develops skills for tomorrow’s challenges. JLL is providing real estate leaders with market leading knowledge and insight to enable them to react and adapt to an ever-changing world and achieve a more sustainable future.
To read JLL’s Building a Better Tomorrow Progress Report, with full analysis and data for all of our targets, please click here.
JLL (NYSE: JLL) is a leading professional services firm that specializes in real estate and investment management. Our vision is to reimagine the world of real estate, creating rewarding opportunities and amazing spaces where people can achieve their ambitions. In doing so, we will build a better tomorrow for our clients, our people and our communities. JLL is a Fortune 500 company with annual revenue of $16.3 billion, operations in over 80 countries and a global workforce of over 90,000 as of December 31, 2018. JLL is the brand name, and a registered trademark, of Jones Lang LaSalle Incorporated. For further information, visit jll.co.uk