The Brassworks London
The development was built in 1816 as small mews plots and bordered by St Georges burial ground when it served a number of small businesses in the music industry.
A quiet residential area close to London’s Marble Arch formerly played host in the nineteenth century to Distin’s Military Musical Instrument Manufactory, a brass instrument factory, known as “The Brassworks”. Falling into disrepair during the next century, the site was nonetheless adapted for office space.
The Church Commissioners had a key objective to restore this historic space to past glory, by converting the site into eight luxury apartments, complete with penthouse suites and private roof terraces. With a focus on combining the historic character of the original building with upmarket residential units representative of twenty-first century London, the Church Commissioners sought the expertise of our Building Consultancy team to project manage the Brassworks conversion.
The team’s meticulous approach to working in a sensitive and restricted area between residential mews solved the considerable issue of restricted working conditions and our devotion to undertaking a sensitive refurbishment in line with the historic character of the setting, without compromising on the quality of the design, was crucial in for delivering fantastic residential units.
The new development incorporated the creation of luxury apartments, with bespoke joinery and Creston AC systems controlling all sound and lighting, as well as an idyllic central courtyard comprising a secluded garden lined with beech trees.
The combination of the team’s considered approach and devotion to finding the balance between modern living and maintaining historic character drove incredible enhancements in capital value, producing a fantastic result for the Church Commissioners.