JLL commits to net zero carbon in the UK
JLL commits to net zero carbon in our UK workplaces by 2030 and to spearheading the adoption of net zero carbon buildings across the UK.
Using our influence and expertise, we want to play a leadership role in helping the built environment respond with urgency and practical action to make net zero carbon buildings mainstream. JLL UK is a national signatory to the World Green Building Council’s Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment.
Lead by example
- By 2030, only occupy assets which are net zero carbon in operation
- From now, measure upfront embodied carbon in our own workplace fitouts, with a view to halving our impact by 2030.
Educate and influence
- From now, train our people on net zero carbon buildings, offering this training to our clients and suppliers
- From now, raise awareness of net zero carbon buildings by sharing thought leadership
- From now, influence policy decisions and scale up action through our industry engagement.
Make it mainstream
- By 2021, integrate net zero carbon into all services for all buildings we advise on
- By 2021, create transparency by tracking net zero carbon assets in core markets
- By 2021, aim to work with at least 10 major clients to help them develop a net zero carbon strategy or implementation plan for their portfolios
- By 2021, innovate to reduce embodied carbon in development, refurbishment and fitout, and to drive additional renewable capacity in the grid.
Context to our commitment
JLL is one of 128 businesses who strongly advocated to the UK Government to adopt a net zero economy goal in May 2019, and we welcome that ambition passing into law. JLL UK is now firmly committing to implementing the changes required to decarbonise our economy. With the operation of buildings accounting for around 30% of total UK emissions, we want to help transform our sector.
With over 4000 clients, over 4500 buildings under management and supporting £12 billion of property transactions across the UK, we want to catalyse change, support our clients and influence our supply chain. JLL has over 20 years of experience providing market leading sustainability expertise to built environment businesses and corporate occupiers. We have partnered as a sponsor with UKGBC on its Advancing Net Zero programme, and we brought our expertise to the creation of the UK framework for net zero carbon buildings.
Globally, we are a Corporate Advisory Board member of the WGBC, aiming to advance net zero carbon buildings worldwide, and have pledged to set a science-based carbon target aligned to the Paris climate change commitment.
We are committed to embedding sustainability in everything we do, Building a Better Tomorrow everywhere we can.