Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

News Release

Leeds

Historic Brotherton House acquired by Pullan’s for redevelopment

New lease of life for former Police building in Leeds city centre


Leeds, 13 December 2012 - Brotherton House, a historic building formerly occupied by West Yorkshire Police on Grace Street in Leeds city centre, looks set for a new lease of life following its recent sale.

The landmark building, with its recognisable twin circular staircase towers, has been acquired by local property company and developer J Pullan & Sons (Pullan’s), for an undisclosed sum, from West Yorkshire Police in a deal brokered by the Leeds office of Jones Lang LaSalle.

Situated at the junction of Westgate with St Paul’s Street, Brotherton House comprises 56,000 sq ft of accommodation and most recently had been used by West Yorkshire Police for administration facilities.

The six storey building was constructed during the 1950s at a time when a large part of The Headrow was being developed and as such Brotherton House enjoyed an imposing frontage at the main western approach to the city centre.

Mark Pullan, Managing Director, Pullan’s commented: “We own a number of properties in West Yorkshire, specifically several in the West End of Leeds city centre, and the acquisition of this landmark building complements our existing holdings.  Our longer term aspirations are to refurbish the premises to a very high standard with a view to bringing the building back to its former glory.”

Jeff Pearey, head of Jones Lang LaSalle’s Leeds office, added: “The sale of Brotherton House attracted a great deal of interest from property companies and developers and in total we received 12 bids from interested parties.  Pullan’s has a long term interest and vision for this unique and interesting property and it will be exciting to see their plans come to fruition.”

Originally built in 1956 for Leeds chemicals and dyestuffs firm Brotherton and Co, when the building became surplus to its owner’s requirements it was put up for sale and bought by Leeds Corporation.  In 1965 the former Leeds City Police took occupation and ultimately established its administrative headquarters there.

Notes to Editors:
J Pullan & Sons Limited was formed in 1885 by Joseph Pullan. Today, the company is still managed by the Pullan family but the business has expanded from its roots as a construction company into an organisation which manages a portfolio of properties and undertakes developments across West Yorkshire and beyond.