Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

News Release

Bath

Old Manor Hospital Site Up for Sale

Hospital Site Salisbury


 

Bath, 19 November 2012 - Over 6.28 acres of the Old Manor Hospital site will launch to the market this week.
 
The Salisbury site, which is being brought to the market by Jones Lang LaSalle on behalf of NHS Wiltshire, has been vacant since the late 1990’s.
 
The sale of the remaining undeveloped areas, known as the Main Site and the Laundry Site signals the next phase of transformation at this key gateway into Salisbury.
 
Development of the new Doctors’ Surgery is already underway and does not form part of the land that will be sold.
 

Situated in a conservation area, the site features two Grade II listed buildings, Avon House and Finch House and a listed fountain dating from 1850. Subject to discussions surrounding these listed building the site provides significant potential for development under a range of uses including healthcare, residential and leisure.

John Mulholland, Jones Lang LaSalle, commented: “The development of the new Doctors’ Surgery and earlier redevelopment of the courts has already made great headway to regenerate this area. We will now market the undeveloped land to potential buyers and begin the next phase of transformation.
 
“With the site’s history we expect a lot of interest from the healthcare sector looking to develop new care homes and extra care facilities. As the site is located adjacent to one of the city’s main
 

transport routes we also expect interest from residential developers and those looking at sites with roadside potential. The key will be finding a prospective purchaser with experience of dealing with major development projects to ensure sympathetic restoration of the listed buildings, particularly Finch House which is so visible at the key gateway to the town. “
 
Tony Barron, Chairman of NHS Wiltshire, said: “This development is fantastic for the people of Salisbury and is an excellent example of collaborative working to establish a modern health care facility which will serve the community for many years to come”.
 
The site, which is formed of remnant grounds and buildings of the Fisherton House Lunatic Asylum, dates back to the early 1800s. The asylum grew to become the largest private mental hospital in England before it was taken over by the NHS in 1954.
 

Situated to the west of Salisbury city centre the site has excellent transport links as it is adjacent to Wilton Road (A36), one of the city’s principal transport routes.

Expressions of interest are invited from prospective purchasers with a proven track record of dealing with major restoration and, or development projects on this scale. An information pack is available upon application to Jones Lang LaSalle, Bath Office by contacting John Mulholland on 01225 324 108.