Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

News Release

Leeds

Former home of Leeds Police Force put on sale with property consultants Jones Lang LaSalle

Brotherton House in Leeds comes to market


Leeds, 18th April 2012 – West Yorkshire Police has appointed Jones Lang LaSalle to sell the freehold of it its former station in Leeds city centre. Brotherton House, situated at the junction of Westgate with St Paul’s Street, comprises 56,000 sq ft of accommodation and has a rich historical heritage.

The building was constructed in the 1950s, at the same time as a large part of the surrounding area to the west of the Headrow was being redeveloped, and originally commanded an imposing position at the main western approach to the city centre. It was built as the head office of Brotherton & Co Ltd, Chemical Manufacturers and when it was formally opened in 1956 included teak parquet flooring and a state of the art central heating system. 

In 1963 the building was bought by Leeds Corporation and became the administrative headquarters for the Leeds Police force from 1965. The accommodation which catered mainly for operational functions included the offices of the Chief Constable and the Chief Superintendent, an enquiry office, library and conference room. In 1976, the Police force moved to purpose-built headquarters elsewhere in the city retaining Brotherton House for administration facilities.

Jeff Pearey, head of Jones Lang LaSalle’s Leeds office, said: “Brotherton House, which is now surplus to our client’s requirements, is a very exciting redevelopment opportunity to come to the market. The building, which is easily recognisable, stands prominently at the Western Gateway into Leeds city centre and has the potential, subject to planning consents, to be redeveloped into a range of uses including offices or hotel and the like. We envisage strong interest in the opportunity.”